Monday, July 28, 2008

Camping!


I'd just like to point out the fact that Red Cove is red.
I'm not a geologist, but Red Cove makes me want to be one. So many amazing rocks, and I have no idea what they are. It was really tempting to bring a bunch home from my camping trip with Lisa, but bouys are much lighter, and the beach combing was great. There is more than one way to get to Red Cove. Lisa and I went via Red Cove Lake, which is at sea level and separated from the ocean by a gorgeous beach. It's a really neat little piece of geography. To get there, we hiked a buffalo trail down from the road and canoed across the lake to the ocean side.
There is so much driftwood in Red Cove, and it's neat to find huge spruce and cedar logs down there. The closest trees are spruce on the north end of Kodiak. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of that driftwood is from Southeast.
Lisa made a kick-ass chair so we could relax by the fire, and we cooked up some delicious apricot-lentil soup for dinner. Summer just isn't summer without a camping trip! Glad we could squeeze it in between all the fishing.



1 comment:

calista said...

That looks so fun! :)
Callee