Wednesday, July 15, 2009

how to fillet a fish my style


There are 3 necessities when filleting salmon--beer, a sharp knife, and a fish (obviously). A fillet table is not required, but sure is a nice luxury! I have a preference for cotton gloves when filleting--not to keep my hands clean, but to have a good grip on the fish!



I like to use a thick bladed butchering knife when I fillet salmon. The sharper the blade, the easier it is to make a nice cut. It really makes a world of difference. I keep a little sharpener on hand to use between each fillet.


The first cut that needs to happen is right behind the pectoral fin. I don't cut all the way through the fish, just until I feel the blade hit the spine.

The second cut I make goes all the way down the back of the fish. It's important to keep the tip of your knife right on the spine, and angle the blade slightly downwards to cut as much flesh off the bone as possible.


When I've cut past the belly, beyond the ribs, then I push the knife all the way through the fish, to where I can see the tip coming out the other side. I finish this way clear to the tail.


From here, I go back to the upper section of the fillet where it is still attached to the ribs. Angling the blade slightly downward, I press on the ribs as I slice the meat from the bones.


Once I reach the belly, I slice through the skin and cut the fillet free from the fish.
Then I flip the fish over and repeat the same process on the other side.



I always rinse the fillets off once they're cut to remove any blood that might have gotten on the meat.


Obviously I fall short of Filleting Diva when I leave that much meat on the bone! How embarrassing. But at least in this photo, you can see that it's not necessary to gut any fish if you're going to fillet them the same day they're caught. This king was caught just a few hours before it landed under my knife.


Naturally after all that concentration, you get pretty thirsty. Sipping on a home brew is totally appropriate at this time.


(Photo and shadow credits go to Lisa!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beer is a necessity for most dirty jobs, including branding cattle and cleaning toilets.

Love you and see you in about a month! xo